April 10, 2010

Starting on the Scrap Quilt

Thanks everyone for all your support!  I got over my bad experience yesterday and got up this morning and did what I do best...took it out on the fabric.  Despite fighting off a cold and not feeling good, I got a lot done.  Baby quilt number one is done, it just needs binding which I need to drive over the hill to get more fabric for.  When I've got the binding on I will post a finished picture.

And then I got started on my scrap quilt.  I dug out my box of scraps and got to work.  Here is my scrap box before I started.  The goal is to shrink it down, so hopefully it is smaller when I'm all done.

Here is my first block.  It's 10" finished, so only 24 more or so to go.  I did buy the white background fabric as I didn't have enough of any neutral fabrics to do what I wanted.  I fell in love with the dragonflies on the white print.  Its been a number of years since I have paper pieced, but I think I did alright.   

It should look something like this when complete.

My first paper piecing experience was this table topper I did many years ago.  It's an old project, but I thought i would share just for fun.  I made this shortly after I started quilting and it is often used on our dinner table as a centerpiece/hot pad.


5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you decided to take out your frustrations on fabric. The first scrap block looks great. I have so much trouble with paper piecing, I avoid it as much as I can, but it looks like you've got it down. And that first project? Goergous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first block is fantastic and the whole quilt will be great. I love the dragonfly fabric, too. Dragonflies have a very special meaning for me and I collect them when I can. Your tabletopper is beautiful, glad to hear you use it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your block looks great. I think that will shrink your scrap bin quite a bit. Your tabletopper is really pretty. You took on a big paper piecing project. Look forward to seeing your scarp quilt grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun scrap block! Is it your own design from something like EQ6? It will make a stunning quilt. I think you have the hang of paper peiecing. Your table topper shows it.
    -Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to read that you haven't been feeling well. Take care of yourself. I was looking at this very pattern on the weekend, contemplating it as my first paper pieced project! I saw it in Quilt magazine or perhaps Quiltmaker. I think it's fantastic and a super scrap quilt. Your table topper is stunning! No wonder it takes pride of place. Great work! Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete