So, I worked right up to the deadline, but I finished my ugly fabric challenge!!!!
So, I guess the ugly fabric challenge deserves a bit more of an explanation, as several of you have asked about it.
Last year my local quilt shop started their annual Ugly Fabric Challenge. In January (this should indicate how long I have been procrastinating on this!) the quilt shop employees scour the store to find the most ugly bolt of fabric they have in stock and cut it into quarter yard sections. If you choose to participate you receive the quarter yard of fabric free. These are the rules:* Projects are due at the end of June
* You may make any kind of fabric object with your quarter of a yard (hence its usage is not necessarily limited to quilts.)
* You must use at least three-fourths of the ugly fabric in the top (or seen surface) of your project. (Another words, no hiding it inside a purse or on the back-side of a quilt.)
The entries hang in the local quilt shop for the month of July and customers get to vote on their favorites. The winners receive a $100 gift certificate to the shop. Totally worth it!
I have a very complex love/hate relationship with the ugly fabric challenge each year. I hate the challenge because, well, who likes working with an ugly fabric? I almost never chose fabric to fit a project. I pick a project then find the fabric combinations to fit it.
I also love the ugly fabric challenge because of what I get to do with it. Because I don’t really care about the fabric to start with, I allow myself to try new things. I mean, I don't really care about how the project turns out in the end. OK, so maybe I care a little.
I really love this piece and I had a lot of fun with it, but it took a long time and a lot of mental work. My job has been really intense the last few weeks, so this hasn't been the best project for after work, but I pushed through and got it done.
Well, off to go relax. The husband and I are headed out of town for the long weekend to go camping and take some time to decompress. We live in a resort town so everyone flocks to the beach for the 4th, and we try to find a way to get out of town and avoid the tourists. Hope everyone has a happy 4th!
Fantastic! I would never have guessed that was an ugly fabric to start with if I didn't already know. I'd love to see what others do - is there a link to the quilt shop for that? I hope you win...it looks like you put a LOT of work into that! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteFor an ugly fabric challenge, you have a beautiful quilt! That is fantastic, I hope you win, too!
ReplyDeleteI certainly would vote for your quilt! I don't see any ugly fabric in it, but on the bolt, I probably would have agreed with you. Is that design your own creation? It is cute as can be! Good job! I hope you win too! ---"Love"
ReplyDeleteWow your quilt is just amazing. You gotta be th winner!
ReplyDeleteWow! You certainly rose to this challenge. Nicely done!
ReplyDeleteWhile some saw 'ugly' fabric, you saw this beautiful carousel quilt. It would be lovely in a nursery and yes, you would get my vote!
ReplyDeleteSandy
Every fabric finds its purpose, whether in a challenge like this, or on the back of a charity quilt.
ReplyDeleteThe freedom that comes with fabrics "you don't care about" is liberating sometime's. You can experiment, and then donate if you don't like it;) Sometime's you get a gem out of it, like this one;)
Happy Quilting!!