August 23, 2010

Mariner's Compass

I recently bought a great book with different patterns for foundation piecing.  One of them is a Mariner's Compass pattern.  I've always loved to look of this block, but never tried it.  I couldn't fall asleep tonight so it seemed like a good time to try it out.  So, I grabbed my scrap bin and pulled out batiks from a project long ago and made this.  I'm not quite sure what I plan to do with it.  It might make a good pillow or wall hanging or table topper if I can find some coordinating background fabric for it.  As you can see, I didn't even have enough of one purple to do all the background the same, but oh well!   It may end up being put aside indefinitely since I used up most of the scraps I had in the block, but it was a fun experience and I like the way it looks.  I definitely will be making a full sized Mariner's Compass sometime soon.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Too bad you don't have enough scrap to keep going because that would make a wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful! Even with the two different purples, it is fantastic. I have always wanted to try a Mariner's Compass, I have a beautiful pattern for one. I will have to take the plunge one of these days! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty pretty pretty! Mariner's compass is on my someday list. So many projects, so little time! -Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible! I love the colors, and you did a great job! Maybe I'll get enough nerve (and time) to try it someday. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Mariner's compass. It is perfect. What book did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's fabulous! Love the colours and it looks amazing. The batiks work really well in this design. ann...

    ReplyDelete