July 31, 2011

Another UFO Down

and so am I!

I actually finished this up a week or two ago, but I've been down with a stomach bug for a little bit now and haven't gotten around to posting it yet, or for that matter doing much of anything.

Here it is finished.

Due to the sheen in a lot of the fabrics I've had a hard time getting a good photo.  Here's a close up that shows it a little better.

I'm thinking it needs a dark blue border to set it off a little better.  I like the way it looks against the dark blue sofa in the photo above. 

This quilt actually started as a mystery quilt and the teacher wasn't too optimistic it was going to work, since I didn't follow the rules.  I think it worked just fine!  Blue and yellow has always been a color combo I've liked and I'm glad I decided not to listen.

The background fabric is a pale yellow fairy frost and the blues are a pack of eight fat quarters I had picked up at a quilt show.  If you look closely they are actually suppose to represent the four seasons.

Can't wait to see what UFO is next.  It's halfway through the year and it's feeling so nice to get some tops done!  (Well minus the borders anyway.)

10 comments:

  1. I think it's lovely! Yes, a dark blue border will set it off nicely. Good work!

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't it drive you nuts when teachers or shop workers freak at what you want to do? First of all, if I have a definite idea or effect in mind, I know what I want and don't appreciate aggressive attempts to change what I'm trying to buy. [No. . . contrary to your "expert" opinion, a bright yellow would NOT work in my project. I really do need a good butter yellow. . . I was so totally right on that one.]

    Second, what's going to happen if it doesn't work out cool? Is anyone going to get a fatal disease? Worst scenario is some cause gets a free quilt. At our last quilt retreat, I had to give in and switch my fabrics around because the teacher was so OCD she couldn't teach with my individuality (all I was doing was using a dark background and light stars instead of vice versa). The project was small enough, I had enough fabric to do it both ways, and she was otherwise cool enough that I just went with the flow so the class could move on without further ado.

    And, yeah! Your flimsy looks great against that dark blue. I think you should do the border you're envisioning. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Follow directions? Who had that brilliant idea? Your quilt is BEAUTIFUL! Great job on another finish and I hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on another finish, at least the top! It looks wonderful! It is your quilt, you should always make it the way you want it. The dark blue would look great as a border, go for it. Hope you feel better soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are well on the road to recovery.
    Great top. I love the variety of blues. I agree that a dark blue border would be perfect.
    Another beautiful top done. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fabrics and their arrangement are lovely! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! It is your quilt! Be proud of it! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote for a dark blue border too--perhaps with a narrow lighter yellow border (of the right yellow) just before the blue one--I'd at least have to try it and see? Your frosted fabrics are really pretty! Usually people don't like my color choices, so I've learned that only I have to be happy with them. Congrats on your lovely finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No quilt police here - I do think the dark border will be lovely also. Make it yours works in my book of rules. Judy C in NC

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is an incredible quilt! I love the way the blues shade from dark to light. It will be interesting to see what you choose for the border. Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete