February 3, 2012

January UFO

The number that Judy pulled for the UFO challenge this month was #1.  Funny how excited I was to get working on this months UFO right up until I saw that number.  I can't figure out why I put the ones I didn't finish last year on the top of list.  I guess it doesn't matter where I put them since it is random, but I wasn't too happy to see this one pop up so early in the year. 

My #1 is the bubble gum and chocolate quilt I started two years ago.  The top is put together, all it needs is the hand appliqued flowers and swirlies down the entire brown strip.  I have two done.  Since this is my first attempt at needle-turn applique, it's been a slow process that I'm not sure I'm totally pleased with, but I think I want to push through and finish it.  I want to push through right? 

It also needs borders.  Since I didn't cut those and set them aside back when I started this, I hope I still have enough fabric to do so.  Another reason not to put projects in the UFO black hole.  :-)

Ok, enough procrastination on this one! Besides, since this months UFO is a hand quilting project and I'm out of piecing projects, you know what that means, right? I get to start a new project. Yeah!
Now, what to start on?

9 comments:

  1. Yeah, you want to push through!! That's a really cool quilt. Does it have to have borders? I think it's fantastic how it is. :D

    And: Woohoo for new projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! Quite an interesting pattern, and you know how I love pink! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it;) And I agree, it doesn't really need borders if you don't have the fabric for it....just get 'er done;) p.s.....I really have no room to talk about UFO's myself;) lol;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe I know exactly where that pattern came from! I love it! I remember you showing the fabrics, but not much more of the quilt (brain lapse perhaps?). Definitely worth pushing yourself to get it done. And needle turn applique gets easier the more you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pink and brown combination. Definitely push thru and finish it!

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely push through! I have always liked this quilt and your needleturn looks just fine from here. Yeah - a new project. Have fun! ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so cute. The colors are so happy and I love the strip with applique. Push on cause it is a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty pink and chocolate brown quilt! You are doing pretty well at getting your UFO a little farther.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the quilt! I used to hate appliqué til I stopped needle turn and started using another method. Trace the pattern out using a file folder as your new pattern material. Lay the new sturdy pattern on the wrong side of your fabric, rough cut leaving about a quarter inch seam. Then , I spray a little starch into a cup or small bowl, use a small brush and apply the starch to the exposed seam. Carefully, so as not to burn your fingertips, turn the seam over the pattern and press until dry. Just work around the pattern a little at a time. When it's cool, you can remove the pattern. Press it again and place it on your quilt. Stitching it down will be a breeze and you will be so much happier with your results. Good luck! If my description isn't clear google something like "starch method for appliqué" and see if there are some tutorials.

    ReplyDelete