February 19, 2012

Step One

Step one in my new project was to sew all the triangle units together.  I got all 168 of them sewn together Friday night.  After 6 hours, it was nice to have them all done.

(That's half of them.  The other half still needs to be pressed and sized.  That's this stack!)


About halfway through however, I realized that the alignment on my machine was just ever so slightly off.  Not happy!  There's a group of blocks that are about 1/8 of an inch too small.  I think I can ease that amount into the seams without too much effort.  I decided with that bias edge that it would be worse to rip it out and resew than try and fudge my way through.  On the plus side, I shouldn't be loosing star tips.

What star tips you ask?  Oh yeah, I promised a pattern!

The pattern I am working off of is by Debbie Caffrey from her book "Another Can of Worms."  Here's the pattern from the book (on the left). I decided that the book pattern was too small and I wanted it bigger.  Besides, I had a jelly roll with 40 strips of fabric so I played around with it in Electric Quilt and came up with this second version.




















I added a few 16 patch blocks and increased the stars to 42 by adding a few extra strips.  Overall it should measure about 62" by 78".   I'm thinking I might try and find the pink colored fabric in the bottom left from the photo up top to use in the border.  Soon I'll get to start putting blocks together and then I have to come up with a name for it!

9 comments:

  1. All that work will pay off, it looks like a beautiful quilt. I can't wait to see thing sewn together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! A lot of work. :D Good job there. It's going to be really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite a task! I really like your design best! Will look forward to seeing it together! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty! I sympathize about the alignment issue. I've done quite a bit of fudging to avoid ripping bias seams when things were a touch off size!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of triangles! Congrats on your win for fnsi...nice to meet you. I'll be sure to check in often to see this quilt come to life ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 6 hours? Wow! I love your design. The colors are much brighter, but I also like the 16-patch blocks for a change of pace. It's going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you color choices and the pattern is a stunner! Six hours at the sewing machine? Geez, I am lucky if I can manage one whole hour.

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your colors are really fresh and springy. I love the 16 patch blocks you added to you design. It really makes the pattern more interesting. Can't wait to see it start coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's quite a sewing marathon but gets you well ahead. I really like your variation on the original and the bright colour scheme. ann :-)

    ReplyDelete