August 18, 2010

Why didn't I think of doing it that way???

Have you ever been flipping through a magazine and stumbled upon a pattern and thought to yourself, "That is way easier than the way I have always done that!"

I had one of those realizations today at work. I keep a quilting desk calendar on my desk for inspiration and motivation while I work. Today's block was No Tricky Card Trick Block. (I love that name!)

I have made several card trick quilts and really like the way they look. I have spent hours putting together and trying to match up triangle point without stretching them along the bias. Rectangles and squares would have been so much easier. Here's the photo of my most recent card trick table topper.


So here's pictures of a traditional card trick block the way I have always done them and then the No Tricky version I discovered today.  Why didn't I think of this?  (So they are a little hard to see, but hopefully you can tell the difference.)

Traditional (Look at all those triangles!)

 No Tricky (All those nice squares and rectangles!)
So, I've been out of town for two of the last three weeks, hence my lack of recent activity.  Time to catch upon everyone else's blogs.  I have been working on some things and will post progress soon! 

6 comments:

  1. Clever! Thanks for sharing. I also like card trick blocks, and my version has 4 more seams than your original. This is very tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Card Tricks pattern has always fascinated me! Your little mat is cute as can be! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well somebody was on the ball with that one! I never would have thought to do it that way because I've always seen it the traditional way. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that looks much easier! I love your table topper, nice fall colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like that block, thanks for posting the easier way to make the block.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so much easier! Isn't it wonderful that someone thought to figure this out? Your table topper looks terrific! ann...

    ReplyDelete