March 2, 2011

Quilt Show Finds

 This weekend was our local quilts guilds annual show and I made some great finds.  Strangely I took only one picture, but this quilt so intrigued me that I want to figure out how to make a triangular log cabin block.  Isn't this neat looking?  I might play with this over the weekend.

I also made a few fun purchases!  I bought this book, mostly because I can't wait to make this hanging!
I must have Christmas on the brain this week, but at least if I start now I should be ready by next Christmas right?

I got these six half yard cuts for under $20.  Not bad considering that fabric around here is usually $10/yard.  Now to find a pattern to use with them.

The highlight of the show had to be the guest speaker! 
"Joe the Quilter", aka Joe Cunningham, gave a show that had my husband in stitches.  He was hysterical!  I've included a link of another lecture he gave from You Tube at the bottom of the post.  If it works, I think you'll enjoy him as much as we do.  If nothing else, browse around his gallery and check out his non-traditional quilts.  He just finished his book "Men and the Art of Quilmaking" featuring some very interesting art quilts by men, including the president of our local guild.

Isn't it always fun to discover something new and bend the rules just a bit!





8 comments:

  1. I love brown and blue together, a great combination. Its never to early to start on Christmas projects...Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Log Cabin triangles? How cool is that! They look like snowflakes. Love all your choices and the video is really funny!

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Christmas... I love the snowflake triangle log cabin quilt. Very innovative. I'm going to have to watch for Joe the Quilter to come to my area - from what you shared, he seems to be someone I'd enjoy seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be waiting to see what you learn trying to make the triangle log cabin sections. That really is a neat quilt, love the snowflake effect it creates. Hope you figure it out and share it with us, like we all need one more project to work on, LOL! The blue and brown fabrics are beautiful, that will make a gorgeous quilt! I enjoyed the little video, will have to check his gallery out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that quilt! Have fun figuring out the triangular log cabins. Please share what you find out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That quilt is amazing. It seems like I have seen a pattern or directions for triangular log cabin blocks. If I figure it out I will let you know. Great time to start on Christmas projects.
    Love the fabric from gthe pure line. We had charm squares but only a few bolts. Enjoy finding a quilt to use them in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That blue and white triangle cabin quilt is spectacular! You are on the right track; Christmas will be here before we are ready! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the snowman placemats from your last post, and I am certainly intrigued by the triangle log cabin quilt. Good luck.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete