April 16, 2011

Progresss Report

So, as I expected, I am less than thrilled with my progress last night on my Lil' Twister blocks.  But since it is the UFO of the month, I am trying to power through it if only for the experience of what not to do.


Here's the three blocks I got done up on my design wall.  Oddly enough, I like the picture of this much better than when it is sitting on my design wall.  I have two more blocks I may add, or I may leave it a small table runner as such, I haven't decided yet.  Either way I am hoping some borders will tone it down. 

I think I have learned a few things now about the twisters:
1.  This fabric selection would have worked much better with the larger version.  The small scale prints are somehow all jumbled on the background blocks.  Larger pinwheels I think would have turned out much better.

2.  Contrast in color and value is key.  Both times I have had contrast when compared in large scale, but it is lost in the twisters.  Next time I will pick a distinctive contrast in color.  Somehow I am beginning to think that there is a reason that almost every example in the book uses a solid print for the background. 



After feeling a bit discouraged I moved on to my small charm pack quilt.  It's all up on my design wall too.  Altogether a productive night.  Now I just need to get working on my monkey quilt again.

8 comments:

  1. You are too harsh! I think Twister looks just fine - I've always liked that block pattern and must make one. Your charm quilt looks good too. Great work! Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you added yellow to the twister mix. It really shows up in the picture. Love the little charm pack quilt. Very pretty!

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  3. The twisters look good. The purple background looks almost grey when you get far enough away from it, which allows the other colors to show up better. But I do see where contrast is key! The charm pack quilt is looking great - quite scrappy considering it's a single line of fabrics, but that's great...my luck with single lines of fabrics is that they turn out boring. I'm glad to see you busy again. For a while there with the move, we didn't see anything. It looks like you've settled back in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, that twister project actually looks cool. It's not highly contrasted, as you talk about, but it's got a nice water-colory quality that is popular with some crowds.

    Love the fun colors in the charm project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lil' Twisters is kind of cute, the fabrics are adorable. I don't know how this would work but maybe a tight zig-zag stitch outlining the pinwheels in a dark contrasting thread color would make them stand out. It's just a thought. The charm pack quilt is adorable, too. Love the fabrics in there. The background fabric has a 60's feel with the shapes of the flowers! It was a very productive night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your 'lil twister blocks look cute!I find I have a bit of trouble picking backgrounds for them too. It is hard to picture the final result (for me it is anyway).
    The charm pack quilt is cute. I have that charm pack waiting for me to get to it. I like your color arrangement.
    Looks like you have been really productive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The twister has contrast to me, but maybe a background that at least "reads" solid would have been better. I still think you will grow to love it! The charm pack quilt is going to be a cutie too! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Learning along the way is progress. I think they look good regardless of contrast. Not all things need to pop out and scream. Mellow quilts are always easy on the eyes;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete