April 2, 2011

What to do with a charm pack?

I've been struggling lately to find another project that I want to work on.  The UFO Challenge has been a nice distraction, but not a new project, which I have been wanting.  I don't have any pressing events to make quilts for and it seems that the quilt shops around here haven't received any fabric lately that I want to do something with. 

A couple weeks ago we went to visit some relatives a few hours away where we used to live and I just had to stop into my old quilt shop and see what they had in stock.  I found these Moda Dragonfly Summer charm packs and really liked them so I picked up two and some background fabric.  Now what to do with them?


After some contemplation I gave up until I found this book at my LQS.


It has some super cute patterns, mostly for small quilts using charm packs.  I decided to make this pattern.

However, I wasn't sold on using the Dragonfly Summer on this, so Thursday being a holiday from work, I trekked about 45 minutes to my favorite quilt shop to check out their fabrics to see if they had anything that might inspire me.  As usual, they did!

I ended up getting a charm pack of Dilly Dally fabrics and have been working at getting to blocks put together.  Here's the first six.

They still need to be squared up and I haven't started on the 9 patch blocks, but I think it will be a fun spring project to keep me busy for a week or two.

P.S. Katie pointed out that the designers of this fabric also wrote the book and have a fun blog at Me and My Sister Designs which is now the latest blog I'm following too!

6 comments:

  1. Very cute. Did you realize the people who designed the fabric also wrote the book? (I follow their blog and love both!) It looks very summery, which is nice considering they're predicting SNOW here today. It's going to be a cute quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very cute, I love the fabrics! It should be a fun quilt project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute;) Charm packs can be challenging, but fun;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dragonfly fabric and the background fabric for your blocks is really cool! The quilts will be really pretty!

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to get that charm pack the day it arrived at the shop. I have not seen that book.... since I am addicted to those cute charm packs I better hunt it down.
    Your blocks are looking sooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute fabrics! Can you believe I've never bought a charm pack, or a jelly roll, or any other pre-cuts? I guess I need to try that sometime! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete