July 23, 2012

New Block of the Month

I signed up for a new block of the month series at my local quilt shop.  I don't know what I was thinking considering how many unfinished projects I have, but I couldn't resist.  This block of the month is called Building Blocks and is by Cozy Quilt.  You can check it out on their website here.  (I didn't realize until I went to do this post, but this is the same company that published the Strip Tubing Book from my last post.)

The building block BOM is one of the most interesting BOMs I have ever done.  Each month we receive three fat eighths and a pattern.  Using the three colors and a background fabric purchased separately you sew the block using any color combination you desire.  The fun part is that no ones blocks turn out the same as we are all using the colors differently within each block.    The first pattern looks like this.



I signed up a months late, in the middle of being out of our house, so I'm playing catch-up right now.  I got the first block put together over the weekend (and picked up the fabric for the fourth block).

There's actually enough fabric provided that you could make several blocks out of what is provided, so I decided that I am going to make 2 blocks with each pattern/color.  The first block will have the black around the edges.  The second will have the black background somewhere in the center of the block with one of the lighter fabrics around the edges.  

I laid out the pieces on my mini design board and I think this will be the second color way.

I really like how the patterns can translate into any number of different combinations and it is really helping me think about how to construct quilts.  I can see how I may use some of these blocks in the future to make quilts using just one or two of the blocks.  

Now only three more months to go and I'll be caught up.  Not a good way for me to start!

5 comments:

  1. But if it's only one block a month and you're doing two...that's only 6 blocks behind. That shouldn't be hard! (And if you do the math for being 6 months behind, maybe that will motivate you to get crackin'!) The colors are beautiful and I love this block. It's going to be a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty blocks and that block would be stunning as a full-sized quilt. You gonna publish the rest of them for us?

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty fabrics, and lots of little pieces! It's going to be pretty! Reminds me that I need to finish my Civil War blocks of the WEEK! I started late too! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, that is really fun seeing the very different looks just by changing the colors around. We'd love to see your BOM progress over at BOM's Away (a link-up hosted at my blog, goes up new every Monday) as you go along!

    ReplyDelete