January 6, 2011

What's black and white and red all over?

Now if you were like me in middle school the answer to this joke usually ended up with a four-legged African equine taking a swim in one of your kitchen appliances. 

That however is all I can think of when looking at one of my latest projects.  Back on the shop-hop I went on in July I ordered up the Lil-twister tool and since several of you have posted projects you have or are planning to do with this I will share my what not to do list.

My LQS was selling charm packs of black and white fabrics which I thought would be a lot of fun to try out.  To add a little dimension I decided to throw in a few red blocks and a red border.

Here is what it looked like with the squares all laid out.

What I learned is that while this layout works for a regular square nine-patch, the twist it tools needs a bit more contrast to work right. 

Here it is completed.

My "zebra in a blender" table topper. 

(Having a hard time putting in on the table without laughing and cringing at the same time).

Hope y'alls turn out better and I have picked up a new charm pack to try this out with again sometime soon.

7 comments:

  1. Oh dear. Sometimes fabrics just don't play together the way we think they should! I'll remember the contrast tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While reading, I was trying to visualize a four-legged African equine taking a swim in one of your kitchen appliances, but just couldn't get it! I have to admit I laughed out loud when I saw the quilt. You named it perfectly! LOL! I love it! Go ahead and use it a lot! I bet it will create more fun conversations than any other quilt you have! Seriously, I think it's cute as can be! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, look at the bright side...you could put it on the table and spill food on it and not really notice! :) But in a way, I do kinda like it... I will definitely try to apply what you've learned when using my Lil' Twister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I could have used all those fabrics in my current project (to be announced). That little piece makes me a bit dizzy looking at it. Thanks for the caution, LOL.

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it;) Sometime's they don't come out the way we wanted them to, but it will find it's place;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great name for a quilt. I can see that the new tool would be a lot of fun to work with.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tip about using contrast. I think your zebra in a blender is cute even if it is not exactly what you were going for.

    ReplyDelete