I said I would post when I had a few more of blocks done! I'm over halfway done with them, so I figured it was time to post.
The top row is together. I still have to do the last four blocks for the bottom row. When finished you should see the blue star in the middle and the 4 pinwheels surrounding it.
I'm paper piecing them together and each pieced block is 2 inches finished (each pinwheel is 4"), so in total this will measure 8" square finished. I am learning a lot, like how hard it is to get seams straight when the dark blue piece is only 1/4" wide and where the blocks come together there must be 8 or 10 layers of fabric. Things aren't completely straight or lined up, which is even more apparent in this photo, but this was a learning piece, so I'm trying not to stress about it. We all have to learn somehow, right?
The inspiration for the blocks came from the book Showstopping Quilts to Foundation Piece by Tricia Lund and Judy Pollard. This is the design in the book.
In the book, the finished blocks are suppose to be 8" inches and I didn't have that much fabric or want something that big, so I drew it into EQ6 and played around with until it fit the color profile and size I wanted.
I didn't expect the background fabric to stand out so much, but I'm chalking that one up to a lesson in value. I think the inner pinwheels should have had a darker value in order to stand out. They are both medium fabrics and almost seem to get a little lost on the background fabric. It's coming along though!

It's looking very good to me, and I do see the blue star in the middle already. Love the colors! ---"Love"
ReplyDeleteApplause to you for stretching yourself to make something so complicated and making it work. I quite like the colours especially those jewel blues. ann :-)
ReplyDeleteVery pretty! I think that lime fabric makes the pinwheels pop - I don't think they fade into the background at all. I also like the blues. Your neutral background is a nice divider between the blues and your pinwheels, so each can pop without detracting from each other. Of course, that's just my taste...It's grey and dreary outside so I'm looking for bright and cheery!
ReplyDeleteI think the blocks are very pretty, but much to small for me. 4-1/2 inches is about as small as I go. Looking to forward to seeing the finished piece.
ReplyDeleteLiri
I like your color choices! It doesn't look quite like the original, but that's what makes quilting fun. But 2" pieces for a 4" block? I think I throw away scraps bigger than what you're using! Good for you tackling it. I'm going to stick with bigger pieces!
ReplyDeleteYou have been working hard on this challenge. I like the star pattern very much. It doesn't seem like the pinwheel color recedes in the photo. Look forward to seeing it all together.
ReplyDeleteOh, wow!! I *love* your color challenge blocks! Unless the photo came out much different from real life, your pinwheels pop out very nicely, and the background fabric is gorgeous with them. Those are some tiny blocks, for sure. It's going to be a fabulous miniature.
ReplyDelete